Friday, October 3, 2014

October 3, 2014

Luke 10:13-16
Jesus said to them,
“Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida!
For if the mighty deeds done in your midst
had been done in Tyre and Sidon,
they would long ago have repented,
sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon
at the judgment than for you.
And as for you, Capernaum, ‘Will you be exalted to heaven?
You will go down to the netherworld.’
Whoever listens to you listens to me.
Whoever rejects you rejects me.
And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”


Reflection:

These verses are couched in Luke 10, where Jesus sends out seventy-two more disciples and warns them of the discouragement and hardships they will likely encounter as they go ahead of him ("Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves." v. 3).  Chorazin and Bethsaida are cities where Jesus performed mighty works, but where the residents remained unconverted.  I often picture myself in Jesus's time, watching Him, listening to Him, scurrying after Him, and I can't believe that anyone could see a mighty work - with their own eyes! - and still not believe.  But these three verses are a powerful reminder that humans can come into contact with the Living God and still turn away.  These verses are an example of some of Jesus's hard teachings - namely, that unbelief is a sin.  This means I need to ask: Where am I struggling with unbelief?  Where am I holding on to something too tightly?  Where am I not trusting the Lord to provide - but in His time and in His way? 

We should not miss the encouragement - we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and knows what is best.  We have the blessing of salvation and His promises.  We have the blessing of many who go before us -- the multitude of saints and godly examples of men and women.  We have our Bibles.  And we shouldn't miss the next verse, where we are assured that, "The seventy-two returned with joy."

Prayer:

Lord Jesus, forgive me for my unbelief, for the many times I hesitate and question.  Help all of us to be like "the boy's father" in Mark 9:24.  Let us exclaim, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"  Thank You that Your infinite power is paired with Your patience and love. Amen.

-Today's post by Ms. Sara Maniscalco, ICS Music teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment