Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October 1, 2014

October 1, 2014

Gospel LK 9:57-62
As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding
on their journey, someone said to him,
“I will follow you wherever you go.”
Jesus answered him,
“Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests,
but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.”
And to another he said, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.”
But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead.
But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God.”
And another said, “I will follow you, Lord,
but first let me say farewell to my family at home.”
Jesus answered him, “No one who sets a hand to the plow
and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.”


Reflection
Just the other night I crawled into bed and tucked myself under the covers. I felt so tired and the bed and pillow were so comfortable. I really appreciated it and thanked the Lord for it, but at the moment I said it, I also had a prompting from the Spirit. He said, “You will still go and do what I want even if there are no pillows, won’t you?”  In today’s Gospel, Jesus ripped away the romanticism of what it meant to be with Him. He did not simply say wonderful. He was trying to help this follower understand that though it is nice to be together, share God’s love, see His power, there are rough parts to carrying out the Father’s will.

But there’s more. Another man replied to Jesus that he had things to do first. Oh yes, I’ve felt that before also. There’s a saying, “Life gets in the way.” The one willing to follow Jesus does not say, “I have this to do today, but tomorrow I can help you.” If you follow, then you go where Jesus goes. This man wanted to be a convenient follower. Convenient followers are not followers at all because they will only accompany Jesus when it is convenient for their schedules. Jesus challenged him to set his priorities in place. You might wonder how it works out practically. First comes the absolute commitment. If you mean to follow Jesus, then Jesus must come first place. The Lord wanted him and us to say an unqualified, “Yes” to Him and then follow Jesus. When we face issues in life, and they will come, we then as Christ’s disciples ask Jesus what we should do. We just need to ask, instead of making excuses. Jesus will lead the way.

I answered the Lord’s quiet reminder by knowing I would go anywhere anytime. I cannot allow any material comfort or even a busy, hectic lifestyle to keep me from going where Jesus sends. Those are the things that keep Jesus from being with us.
What about yourself? Do you share a willingness to go wherever Jesus sends you? Or is there some element of wealth, health, comfort or ease that might keep you from that commitment? 

GO: Follow!


Prayer
Dear Lord,

Please help me to listen to and follow you, to allow myself to be transformed by your words. Forgive me for being so quick to question and hesitant to follow. Help me to see with the eyes of faith, rather than from my own human point of view. Thank you for calling me often, knowing that I can take comfort in you leading the way.

Amen.

by Mrs. Jayme Finley, ICS 1st Grade Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment