Thursday, October 23, 2014

October 23, 2014

Luke 12:49-53

Jesus said to his disciples:
“I have come to set the earth on fire,
and how I wish it were already blazing!
There is a baptism with which I must be baptized,
and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!
Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth?
No, I tell you, but rather division.
From now on a household of five will be divided,
three against two and two against three;
a father will be divided against his son
and a son against his father, 
a mother against her daughter
and a daughter against her mother,
a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”

We find hard words in Luke chapter 12.  Jesus is ready to light the world on fire with the gospel and warns His disciples that following Him will surely bring hardship.  While Jesus wants to give us inner peace, we know that sacrificing for Him, living in His will, and choosing to do - or not do - certain things will at some point place us in direct opposition with those around us - quite possibly within our own families.

This is where I have to be careful with the word "peace."  I have to make sure I have peace with Jesus before I make decisions.  I need to constantly ask, "Who does this decision please?"  If it pleases a person, or group of people, and not the Lord, I will not have peace regardless of who is "happy" with me.  But if my decision pleases Jesus, then truly it will not matter where in my life it causes division.  As Christians, we are encouraged to "consider it pure joy" when we face trials of any kind.  Jesus has promised that He will be with us in our struggles, while being clear that He must take top priority.​ 

Prayer:  Father, help us to follow you no matter the cost.  Grant us inner peace in our decisions, especially when they cause outer tension.  Give us peace only as You can give, and not as the world gives (John 14:27). Let not our hearts be troubled and help us not to be afraid.  Amen. 

-by Ms. Sara Maniscalco, ICS Music Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment